Performance Standards on Environmental and Social Sustainability
IFC’s Environmental and Social Performance Standards define IFC clients’ responsibilities for managing the environmental and social risks of their projects. The Performance Standards provide guidance on how to identify risks and impacts and are designed to help avoid, mitigate, and manage them as a way of doing business in a more sustainable way.
How It Works
There are eight Performance Standards categories that help a project minimize its potential social and environmental impacts.
Project analysis and identification of mitigation measures to reduce project impacts.
- Standard 1: Risk Management
- Standard 2: Labor
- Standard 3: Resource Efficiency
- Standard 4: Community
- Standard 5: Land Resettlement
- Standard 6: Biodiversity
- Standard 7: Indigenous People
- Standard 8: Cultural Heritage
Official Website / Links
- Users of the tool – Project Team, Developers, Financial Institutions, Investors, Local Authorities, General Audience
- Phase when the tool applies – Finance, Prioritization, Design, Construction
- Geographic application – Not specified – Applies globally